There is no shortage of activities and must-see sights in San Diego
. In fact, you’ll likely have trouble narrowing down all the great options! Few destinations offer so many choices for family fun!
During our recent trip, our time was limited. We only had 3 days
! I’m not sure 2 weeks would be enough time to experience everything this city has to offer. Fortunately, we were able to squeeze a lot into this relatively short trip.
We had so much fun in San Diego
! So, it is hard to narrow down the list of awesomeness to just 5. But, here goes.
5 Must-See Sights in San Diego
- The San Diego Zoo: The San Diego Zoo is amazing, so it is no surprise that this world famous zoo is one of the top rated attractions in San Diego. There are over 3500 animals at the San Diego Zoo, but the polar bear exhibit is probably my favorite! This zoo is massive, so I’d suggest allowing at minimum 6 or 7 hours for your visit.
- Coronado Island: The Coronado Island community is a great place to relax and play. It is a quick car trip or ferry ride from downtown San Diego, yet it feels like it is worlds away. Enjoy the beautiful beach or a bike or surrey ride around the island. As you might expect, there are plenty of local restaurants where one can grab a tasty meal. Spending a half or whole day on this island is time well spent!
- San Diego Bay: San Diego Bay is the heart of this city. Of course, various water craft rentals are available in the bay as well as shopping and dining bay side. One of the best ways to experience San Diego Bay is to take a bay cruise which is offered by several tour companies. A 1 or 2 hour bay cruise provides a great perspective on this city and a view of its many military installations.
- The USS Midway: The USS Midway Museum is also ranked as one of the top attractions in San Diego. The reason for this is clear – it provides a fascinating look into life on an aircraft carrier. This museum also highlights the important role these floating cities play in the freedom of our nation. Be prepared – this museum is one in which you’ll wish you had more time. We were there for about 3 hours, and it was not enough!
- Cabrillo National Monument: Cabrillo National Monument is located on Point Loma, and I can’t imagine a more spectacular view of San Diego Bay. This National Monument offers family friendly hiking trails as well as a historic lighthouse to explore. In certain times of the year, this is a great destination for tide pooling and whale watching. Regardless of when you visit, you won’t be disappointed.
If you are fortunate enough to be in San Diego more than 3 days, check out this 5 Day Go Card
pass! It a GREAT value and pretty much covers anything you might want to see while you’re there!
Whatever you decide to do in sunny San Diego
, its likely that you’ll find more to do than time allows. Of course, that just means you’ll have to plan another trip to this Southern California vacation wonderland!
This post contains affiliate links for which I make a small commission if you make a purchase.