St John’s is the Capital of the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. It is also the province’s largest city with a population of around 100,000. That number doubles if you consider the surrounding communities. There is so much to see and do in St John’s, Newfoundland! I enjoyed my visit, and I hope you will too!
Must-See Sights in St John’s, Newfoundland
While St John’s is small in size, it is big in WOW! Check out these 6 must-see sights:
- Cape Spear. Cape Spear is home to the oldest surviving lighthouse in Newfoundland as well as a World War II fort. This historic site is also the easternmost point in North America.
- The Rooms. The Rooms is a two-in-one attraction. It is half art gallery and half historical museum. It features a variety of well preserved artifacts which tell the story of Newfoundland’s rich history. The Rooms Cafe with its wall of windows is a great place to enjoy a meal while overlooking St John’s Harbour.
- Signal Hill. Signal Hill overlooks the narrow entry into St John’s Harbour. This historic spot has a rich past. In addition to Cabot Tower, there are cliffside hiking trails to explore.
- The Harbour. St John’s Harbour is the perfect safe haven for marine vessels. One look at the geography of St John’s Harbour, and it is easy to see why it is significant. One of the best ways to experience it is to go on a boat tour.
- The Jellybeans. Jellybeans is the nickname of the rows of brightly painted wooden homes in downtown St John’s. These colorful structures can make even a gray day feel bright.
- Quidi Vidi. Quidi Vidi is a neighborhood in St John’s, Newfoundland. It features a lake as well as a harbour of the same name. This picturesque community is home to a craft guild where you can purchase crafts from local artisans. In addition, you’ll find eateries and Newfoundland’s largest microbrewery.
St John’s, Newfoundland is one of the oldest European settlements in North America. St John’s is a great place to start your Newfoundland adventure! This city’s rich history and unique charm offer the traveler a unique and unforgettable experience.
For more information about Newfoundland, check out 7 Reasons to Add Newfoundland to Your Bucket List.